beyond that $

was having a short conversation with the old indian auntie, a neighbour opposite us.




u know,



like normal hi, how are you, taken your dinner and so on..



but i was waiting for my sister outside that day,



so i went to her gate and talked to her.



she told me about her recent health. about only her left ear is functioning.. taking medication..


how her son told her not go out alone, as if she ever faint anywhere, at least there is someone with her and so on...



she's about 80-90?? what can we expect =)




then she went on telling me, she can't go to her son's house due to this. Her son has a house in Singapore. a Bangalow! she emphasized.



and the son's children, her grandson,


one is a doctor, one is a lawyer, and another one is a geologist!


i was surprised!


and did she mentioned that geologist grandson is in Australia now?



but the thing i wanna say is,


when she told me all these,


it wasn't to boast around i guess.



as she is quite a down to earth lady to me.



and when she was telling me all these,


i can see really Proud and happy expression on her face! :)


i can read " i am so proud of my son and grandchildren!" on her face :P



then i started to remember a good friend of mine ( shall not reveal eh)


told me her mom would be most proud of her if she works in overseas instead of just doing local.


sorry, correction. Her entire family would be very proud of her cuz they can tell,



oh my daughter/sister/granddaughter is currently working in xxx as xxx ( a job which earns rather big money) with a really proud face. and we might be going over soon.....




yeah,


how about me?



will my mother be proud of me for just the way i am?



there was once when i was doing massage for my mom, i asked her a question.



" mommy, do u expect from all your 5 daughters, equally?


like..


do u judge their results based on what you think about their ability to study?



do u judge their bfs or husbands based on what u think about their attractiveness?



do u judge their salary pay based on what u think about their capability to work?



all in all,


i mean,



does my mom expect every daughter to be the same,


having equal results, similar salary pay and stuff,



or does she expect from each of us differently based on what she thinks about our ability and capability to study or work?



i'm sure all 5 of us are different =)




and i did not get the answer.



one of my sister was there.



then she was shocked by my question,


and said " what kind of question are u asking???!! " with that i dont know how to describe face.



but i seriously wish to know what do my parents think.



like for instance,



if one of my sisters is damn smart.


and i am more stupid compared to her.



( in the eyes of our parents)



if they are happy and satisfied only if that sister gets 95 -100 for her exam.



and will they be satisfied with me getting only 70-80 for my exams?



u know what i mean now??





judging our success, based on our abilities and capabilities..



they can't be expecting me to get 95-100 like her if i am more stupid right?



ya,



so that question was left unanswered.



due to the incorrect timing of the questioning.



the presence of a sister,



who think the question is bullshit,



and hence influenced my mom to not answer it as well.





but well..



after typing it out,



i guess it is all not so important right now.



making them proud?



they may set really high standards for me and stuff.



but if i am proud of myself, for the hardwork, and the following success i gain in my life,



i'm sure they will be proud of me as well.



right?



so the friend who is thinking so hard whether to go overseas or to stay?



if u think u will make yourself proud of yourself, just go for it.



only do it for yourself.



instead of like , my mom would be proud of me if i am a doctor ...,



but u simply dislike to study medicine!




u get what i mean?



but afterall.



being proud of ourselves,



isn't all about the success in terms of status and the money u earn.



there are so many more things that we can be proud of ourselves ,



which is beyond all that dollar sign.



for instane,




the way u treat your family and friends.



how sincere and honest are u in each relationship?



are u willing to sacrifice yourself for others?



are u willing to help those who are in need?




and even if u make big money,



do u follow the ethical way of doing business?



are u kind enough to make donations to the less fortunates?




and so many many more things,


which are beyond the dollar sign $.....

so,

do u wanna be proud of yourself merely because of the amout of $ u have,

or those qualities in you, which are beyond the dollar sign.... $..


i don't know.


there is no right or wrong or whatsoever,


it is all about our own perception.


all choices made by us :)



u want the dollar,


or u want those beyond the dollar?



or u wanna strike a balance between both??


your choice.

All yours.



No comments: